Thursday, June 19, 2008

Invasion of the In Laws.....

Really, it isn't so bad.

BUT I am feeling a bit trapped.

My mother-in-law is with me even when the hubby and father-in-law are off doing MANLY (aka fishing or home improvement stores) things. She's not bad, and when we are out and about, I am in charge, in command, and a-ok. At home, I am feeling like I am ON all the time. Let's just state this here and now: I suck at housecleaning-and have no real interest in improving this skill. I have piles, I leave dishes, I don't sweep daily, I wash clothes and dry them but getting them folded is damn hard. My mother-in-law (MIL for short) is of the generation that women do all the housework, have food cooked and served for the man of the house, and never ever sit and do nothing (or play computer while watching soap operas like I do). When the girls are content, and I might be happy setting down for a few, she is up doing THINGS.

  • My laundry is being completely attended to-kinda odd having MIL fold my thongs and other unmentionables.
  • My kitchen sparkles....ok so that is good, I am being peer pressured (probably totally in my own head) to deal with dishes as soon as the occur.
  • My floor is swept-heck my PATIO-is swept daily
  • This morning I found her cleaning UNDER the couch cushions....ack!

I know she is eyeballing my room-I keep trying to close the door behind me so that she can't SEE the horrors beyond the doorway...and draw her conclusions....and plan an attack!

Anyway, it is probably a good thing that I am being led to up my game. But I hate the feeling that I have to because someone else is looking around my house and thinking about how incompetent I am as a wife (to her beloved son) and as a woman. I know she loves me, it has been 16 years today that I have been part of her family. I have since been welcomed. But still....

This visit has been a trial run. My IL's have retired and are spending lots of time at their home in Mexico. We are the choosen one's (well, we did volunteer) to house them when they are here visiting. At first it was expected that they would come for a month or so....they opted for a week. It's probably a good thing. They girls are getting used to them as part of our household. We are all adjusting to "roles" here at the house.

Anywho, there are definite benefits (the girls get a very intense grandparents doseage with Spanish lessons, we get to visit, etc etc....). I am ready for my routine back, and thankful that it doesn't have to be changed again for a long while. We'll see what lasting effects will remain on after they head out Saturday. Any bet takers that the house will return to it's previous messy state?

1 comment:

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Maybe that's just her way of helping out or "payment" since they're staying with you. Don't worry too much--I'm sure all mommies know it's hard to keep a house clean with little ones around!
I do understand feeling a little invaded, though. ;)