Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Book Review

I am a total bookworm. I have been since I taught myself to read in first grade. I went to visit my dad's family in NY with him. At that point I was working on the basics in school (I totally remember this!). Think Hop on Pop ...While I was there, Dear Daddy didn't realize that I wasn't really reading. He bought me a chapter book about Helen Keller at a used book store to keep me from being bored. Out of sheer boredom, I read it, and understood it! Since then, I have been a voracious page turner. Lately, I have been working my way through the collection in our local library. This past trip yielded two books to note.



1.) The Almond Picker by Simonetta Agnello Hornby. It was certainly a deviation from my usual mindless fiction. I was drawn in especially by the descriptions of Sicilian life. I myself am 1/2 Italian...and lately have been wanting more information about my family's experiences back in Italy. I also enjoyed the story-part romance-part mystery-part mafia-part socio economic.







2.) Momzillas by Jill Kargman. This is a funny-ass book. Showcases the rat race of motherhood with all the traps of material and paternal (or maternal I should say) competition. It is a nice reminder that our children are totally FINE with just the basics. I love the definitions in the opening of the book...Here's one:



"AFFLUENZA: Malaise of the extremely wealthy; symptoms include panic over which color Bugaboo to buy and night sweats about which $20,000 pre-preschool to apply to. Common occurrences of dissatisfaction despite comfort of riches."



Just thought I would share! Go find these books people and READ!

No comments: