Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Creation of a Germaphobe


Generally, I am pretty relaxed about germs and my kids. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE when they are sick-for two reasons. First, it makes me so sad to see them battling and suffering the common ailments of cold and flu. Medicine only goes so far to making them comfortable, and it does make me nervous to dose them up. Secondly, having sick children is so much work! Especially when they are BOTH sick. They make messes, are emotionally needy and grumpy, and no one gets any sleep, even though they need it more than ever!

Lately though I feel a change. This stupid Swine Flu! I worry about sending my sweets out inthe big bad world of nasty germs. We always wash up after shopping and being out and about, Now I wonder if that is even enough. I look at people with the Mean Mama Bear Look if I see them coughing. I walk a wide circle around them to avoid sharing whatever contagious illness they may have.

Schools are closing because of reported cases. It makes me second guess sending Elly to school....

We have a doctor's appt for Bri today-just a standard well baby check since she is now 2. I will be extra suspicious of the other patients waiting. It is hard to contain a 2 year old in the waiting room, and I will just have to hope she doesn't pick anything up.

Jose is a delivery guy and imagine ALL of the germs he comes into contact with as he passes the signing board to a person, or a box gets passed to him.

I mean come on people! This is me, a person who passes on the flu shots because well, the flu always happens shot or not....I survived having the chicken pox, why have a shot for it? Runny nose? Just make sure it gets wiped into a tissue-no need to protect us.....

I hope it gets resolved soon. I understand there are always new icky bugs and there will always be that 1 in so many chances and that sometimes there are horrible reactions....But in the meantime, we will be extra cautious and cross our fingers we can not participate in this disease.

No comments: