Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Story of A Scary Mole

Once upon a time, there was a Fair Maiden. She was not sun shy and approximately once a year, obtained a sunburn. Much to her dismay, she saw a mark. It was a black mark, similar to a tattoo located on her lower back. Over the course of the next year, she observed it...noting its size, color and changes. At some point she deemed it necessary to seek the advice of a medical professional....

She went in for her appointment, and went away missing a part of her body. The scary mole was taken off of her and kept for further studying.

A week went by...as her back healed her brain kept thinking up the possibilities.

Finally, with her courage bolstered, she put in a call for the results. Much to her delight, the results proved to be heart lifting!

Yes, folks I am the fair maiden and my scary mole is for naught. I can be thankful that the biopsy came back with a benign result. Apparently, they think it is a birth mark that has begun changing hormonally. It had its own blood source and was growing cells and pushing outward. The nurse today told me that I was free and clear-no Melanoma. YAY!

Lesson learned? I can be doing more to prevent situations like this. There are so many unpreventable illnesses and diseases, and for melanoma (skin cancer), all I need to do is wear my sunscreen and prevent sunburns. Hopefully, I can get through this upcoming summer season without a sunburn. AND I can commit to keeping my daughters protected.

1 comment:

drea :: dre of white stables said...

I told you on FB, but I'll say it again-I am SO happy to hear this. I know it's a huge weight lifted off!