Saturday, August 16, 2008

Technical Difficulties.....

Whew! You know you're addicted to technology when your power goes out, then your phone line goes down and the last straw, your modem draws a blank...and you are all twitchy and snarky on withdrawals. (No I am not delinquent on paying my bills.) Here's the scoop...

THURSDAY: Setting up for a Pinkalicious Party (will explain later) to be hosted at our house with 8 little girls. The power goes down. Oddly enough we had some things working-like the cable box turned off, and the tv stayed on with no signal. Go Figure....Trouble being, it was 100 degrees HOT and no AC...and guests coming over to melt....hmmm. Luckily about 45 mins into the event, we were up and running. In the 2.5 hours of no power the house went from a standard 77 to high 84. It wasn't until about 7pm that the AC caught up.

THURSDAY NIGHT: Setting down to peruse email and other internet fun after the girls went to bed, and no signal for th laptop. The PC is in my room, where lil miss B sleeps and so that wasn't an option. I tuned into Spider Solitare for my electronic wind down. I assumed that the modem took a hit with all the power surging (even with my surge protector). The plan was to hit up BestBuy in the morning.

FRIDAY: Tried to call a friend and no dial tone. Hmm guess that explains the lack of internet. Called the phone company from my cell. Established that my line had a short in it and would need a tech experience. Made the appt for Saturday morning. Nothing else I could do but wait....oh and pick the brains of the BestBuyGuys. We did, learned that I can't just buy a modem without the router. Went home to ponder. Was held to more Spider Solitare...

SATURDAY: Surprise phone call! Yay for service restored! Not so for the internet....We went to the Farmer's Market and got a call saying the tech would be by to verify all was good. He came and tested and all reported to be in fine working order....no internet. I finally decided to get the new modem/router while the girls slept. Came home and installed. No internet. WHY does it have to be so difficult. Nowhere does it talk about changing passwords and using my ip address to match the modem. I hate calling tech support for SBC/ATT. Seems like I always get someone offshore, as in out of the US that has a thick ass accent and a long distance cnnection which makes me feel like I am talking and listening through cotton and tries my very lats frusterated nerve. Well that is pretty much what happened. Fortunately for me (and the support person "Brian") it went much smoother (perhaps because I have done it before and it is familiar?).

Result: All systems go! Oh and if anywone needs a router....I have a perfectly good Lynksys router....just talk to me! It will be going to ebay soon enough.

No comments: