Friday, May 9, 2008

DOH! Total Catastrophe Avoided

Was I ever sweating bullets today....in more ways than one. Here's the story:

I decided to honor my promise to myself today and got up and exercised! Yipppeee for me! Well, yeah...sure. I even planned to walk us to the store-and using the stroller, get my few things without the plastic bag. Sweet plan! So off we set-the girls happy in the double stroller and me geared up to burn some calories. I mapped out my walk so I would get about an hour before the store-my usual walk length. I had us going down a few streets we usually don't do to make the walk lengthier...a lot of zig zagging around blocks....

I got us to the store, walked right past McD's (swear the smell alone plastered fry grease into my thighs!). Zipped through the fruit section (bananas) to the dairy (milk, Dannimals, and cottage cheese), and the bakery (fresh bread for Fishdaddy). At the checkstand-eyeballed the candybars and held strong. I told the cashier no bags please... (feeling pretty smug at my oh-so-healthy and earth smartness). She rings me up, and I begin searching, and searching and searching. DAMN DAMN DAMN! No wallet...

The problem? I had it when I left the house. It fell SOMEWHERE out in the neighborhood. Mind you, I walked for an hour before the store. I walked by 2 schools, on quiet streets, on very busy streets, past homes, a park, a church....Man I was freaking scared. I had no cash in the wallet--but ALL my cards, ALL my gift cards, my checkbook, id...the usualy personal arsenol. All of it-vulnerable to the goodness or badness of anyone who found it.

I called Lizzie, for some sanity. She had to listen to my sob story as I huffed and puffed, pushing my double cadillac as fast as my fast ass could hoof it. She talked me down from my crazed sense of Chicken Littleness. After talking to her I had an idea of where it might have fallen out. I remember hearing a clunk and looked into the stroller and thought it was the sippy cup falling out of sticky sleeping fingers into the basket. Never gave it a 2nd thought-until Lizzie. I backtracked my path. I covered 40 mins of my original walk in 10 mins....serious workout. AH-HA! There is was...lying all lonely at the edge of some person's home. All pieces intact and nothing blessedly missing. Sweet! I avoided the hassles of re-creating my life in endless phone calls to various official places and I doubled my workout. (See the hassles loomed even larger seeing that I am due for a plane ride on Thursday-no way in hell I was gonna get an ID card or new credit cards soon enough....).

Ok so now that I confessed my stupidity....PLEASE don't share this with the ol' man. He is so sick of me losing my cell phone and wallet this year. I have lost my wallet (temporarily and not so traumatically) about 3 times since B has been born. My cell phone was MIA (on silent) for days at least 2 times. Let's not even discuss my keys.....(My neighbor has brought them to me from on top of my car, in my front door...). I am going to refer you to my post FINDING ME. It all goes back to getting my brain back....

1 comment:

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Wow, I would have been so sick over that! Thank goodness for Lizzie! She's always a good one to talk to. =) Glad it all worked out!