Wednesday, May 7, 2008

6 is the new 7

Yeah, what was once a happy 7 is now a grumpy 6.

My girls, were so good at waking up at 7ish. For E, that meant anywhere between 7:00and 8:00 am. When I began to wean B of her early morning feeding along with the sleep training it would be 5ish with me getting her back down for at least another hour. GREAT! I figured I could work on getting her later and later, more towards 7, like her sister. UHM, not so. B has other plans. She gets up consitantly at 6:14 am. I have tried my sleep training tools, andc sat by the crib to convince her to stay in bed and fall back asleep. No go...I know she should be sleeping longer, not because of the "rules" that kids need X hours of sleep per their age, but because she is a royal grump. There are days when I can get her to fall back asleep, usually on me on the couch while I try to be okay with groggy eyes, no coffee, and 1 hour less of sleep. However, just as I am about to put her back into the crib...1) she wakes up or 2) E wakes up yelling which wakes up B. It is a lose-lose situation.

Now, E is starting to be routine in a 6:30 am wake up. UGH UGH UGH! (I am mentally having a hissy fit!). They are not pretty this early, and I am not either. I need at least some quiet internet zoning time. I need at least 1/2 of a cup of non-reheated coffee. This doesn't happen when one is clingy and sleepy and the other is grumpy and pissy. I end up being pissy too.

I figure we have a few scenarios for problem resolution. I can work with B and not pull her from the crib until closer to 7 (each day a little bit longer). I believe that is what I had to do with E when she was younger. I can ride it out, hoping it will naturally work itself out. I can wait until the throes of summer and fun activities come into play, so that they are more worn out and sleep more. I can wait until B pops all the teeth needed by age 1 out (of which she only still has the bottom 2 and the very tip of a top eye tooth). I can resign myself to waking up at 6am until the girls are teens and WANT to sleep all day.

All of these scenarios will have to wait. We will be taking a trip which will include5 am airport checkins, airplane confinement and multiple time zone hopping. I am absolutely sure this will be messy for our sleep. So any steps I take now, will surely be ruined in a week. I won't even bother until we return. SIGH....maybe I should be waking up with Fishdaddy and having my peace time in the wee hours of dawn....

1 comment:

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Smart thinking to hold off on sleep training til you get back! Ali's always been my late sleeper, but now she's always up earlier than Syd.

It's a conspiracy.