Monday, January 26, 2009

Pop! Pop! Pop!





I absolutely love popcorn. We all know, that Movie Theater popcorn is that evil beast that tastes oh so damn good and is oh so damn horrible for us in every way. Lucky for me the movie theater is a place i have not stepped foot into since I was preggo with Elly. The ensuing birth and care of 1 and then a second child takes up most of my free time. The lack of funds and babysitters takes away the other opportunities for a movie get away.

My second popcorn habit is good old snacking at home. I have always been a fan of Microwave Popcorn. I actually became more of a fan this past summer as I was trying to find lowfat ways to snack. Then I heard a radio interview on talk radio. The guest was Nena Baker, the author of The Body Toxic. She had a lot of evidence against the teflon industry as well as other prevalent chemicals in our everyday lives. Her suggestion, was to make some easy changes. The first being to avoid teflon. We have eliminated our teflon pans. Now we have cast iron and stainless. But that is not to say that things we use dont still have teflon. One of which...the bag that holds the microwave popcorn. Here is an article that explains the caricongens that can be found in microwave popcorn bag. One of her more ominous warnings was for pregnant women. She maintains that of all the scary stuff out there, avoid the popcorn. There is a high chance that the carcinogens cross the placenta, and there is not enough information supporting the harmlessness of it all. Just don't consume mirco popcorn...like we give up wine and cigarettes...

Since hearing this, I haven't purchased anymore of the convenient bags of popcorn. But I miss my snack. So my options are:





  1. The old fashioned way on a pan on the stove.


  2. An air popper


  3. Using a paperbag and bulk popcorn in the microwave.


Out of all of these, my 1st choice was number 2. This was before learning about the cool paperbag trick. I haven't tried it YET. I have heard great things tho, and the ability to custom flavor and season is surely appealing. If this fails me, I will learn number 1, and then I will march to the nearest big box to purchase an air popper.



Follow up review later today on the success (or lack thereof) of the Bag trick.



4 comments:

Heather said...

We always make popcorn on the stove. It's easy and very delicious. I coat the bottom with canola oil, throw in some popcorn, cover and turn the burner on high. When the popping slows, it's done.

EB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momma to LG said...

Great, I just bought microwave popcorn today. CRAP!

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Thanks for the article. I might link to it on my blog, too. If you have any other tidbits of information, do share!