Monday, January 19, 2009

100 Calorie Snacks

Yesterday I was reading a website that led to me to a website that led to me to a website. You know how that goes....I can't even remember now what initiated the search. I think, a recipe...

Anyway, I was reading this gals budgeting website. She claims that it is possible to feed a family of 4 with $200 a month and only $30 of that for meat. She has access to butchers that will sell for under the standard grocery store prices. (I am thinking I might investigate this...living in the "farmlands-turned tract homes" should enable this right?)

So she challenged her readers to stop using convenience foods. No pre-packaged, no ready to back, no easy peasy. She suggests that we would save hundreds of dollars a year by making our own convenience foods.

This, in addition to my attempt to eat better and maintain a healthy diet plus my snacky needs led to the next search. How to make my own 100 calorie snacks. Thus eliminating the packaging, the extra cost, and the processed foods. Since I am home so much of the time, I don't need to open a tiny foil wrapped bag of cookies. I should be able to gauge 100 calories (approximately) of something I already have, that is more in line with my dietary and environmental goals.

Score! I found a bunch of websites!

This is one site I saved for future reference and a quick table they had listed for ideas.

Here are some ideas that are all 100 calories or less!


*Individual serving of skim milk (8 oz)

*Silk plain single serve soymilk (8 oz)

*1 oz. or 2 Tbsp. hummus with 5 pretzel crisps (Sabra Hummus To
Go)

*½ of container (2.5 oz.) tunafish (BumbleBee Easy Peel
Sensations, Lemon & Cracked Pepper) on 3 Reduced Fat Triscuit
crackers

*5.3 oz. container of Oikos organic yogurt or Fage Total 0% yogurt
with ¼ cup blueberries

*Half of a medium pear with 1 oz. low-fat string cheese

*15 grapes with 1 wedge Laughing Cow Lite cheese

*½ cup cottage cheese (fat free) with ½ cup any raw veggies

*2 cups light popcorn (94% fat free) with 2 tsp. reduced fat
parmesan cheese

*14 baby carrots and ½ cup bell pepper strips with 2 Tbsp. fat free
ranch dressing

*Half of a medium apple with 2 tsp. natural peanut butter

*1 oz. (about 3 slices) turkey (Hillshire Farms Deli Select Oven

*Roasted Turkey) with 1 slice 2% reduced fat cheese and mustard

*1 slice light bread (Natures Own Reduced calorie Honey wheat)
with 2 tsp. natural peanut butter

It's nice to know that I can snack just as successfully or better without a 100 calorie snack pack of Oreos.....I will be looking for more information. If I find a favorite I will be sure to share!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hanna - When I get a chocolate craving, I take a box of chocolate cake mix, throw it into a bowl with one can of diet coke. Bake according to the directions (either a cake or cupcakes), and voila..chocolate craving satisfied for less than 100 calories. One cupcake or one piece of cake (no frosting or powdered sugar) is the equivalent of 1 weight watchers point.

Heather said...

We get a 1/4 of a cow and 1/2 of a pig and save a ton of money. Granted, they were both gifts this year, but we got a lot of steaks (sirloin, t-bone, and maybe some others), a lot of ground beef and some roasts. When you figure the cost, the beef comes out to about $4/lb. And the bacon is divine, although probably not diet friendly.