Monday, February 23, 2009

A New Era

The other day we went to visit one of my dearest friends and her family. They are a family of 5, with 2 daughters and a son. Heather is one of the first real friends I made while in college. She is part of the wonderful trio-Heather, Shelly and Hanna. We spent our glory-ahem, well we spent our first 4 semesters together at West Valley College. At 1st we met by chance, Shelly and I had a class together and so did Shelly and Heather. Later, we took several classes together, and Heather and I even worked together... It's been a great thing. Now we are respectively, Auntie Heather, Auntie Shelly, and Auntie Hanna. It's been 15 years this year and while we now have to jostle our schedules around to create visits, we are still very close.
The odd thing is this: while we chatted-Heather and I, Jose with Matt, the kids played (my 2 match ages with her younger 2 almost perfectly). Heather and I cruised through a series of topics. At one point, we were discussing our health. She has recently moved back to the South Bay and has the same insurance we have. I was suggesting some doctors that I have enjoyed having. Then we shifted to various health issues. We discussed cholesterol, anemia, thyroid, etc. All the fun stuff.
After a bit, we packed up our brood and headed home. It was a super nice visit. Totally different than those in the past, simply because it was so simple. Bring the kids over, men talk, women talk, and kids play.
As I was thinking over our visit I started to chuckle. Our topics of conversation have changed so drastically. We used to drool over guys, talk about music, fashion, classes, and places to get out to-and often while we cut class at a local cafe. Now we are discussing face creams and aging skin, budgets and recipes, cholesterol and health issues, and kids.
Admittedly, we are growing (or already grown) up. In fact, I turn 33 today. Shelly celebrated in October and Heather will enjoy this new age in April. I seriously have no problem with adding another year (although the number 33 is a bit daunting to me-perhaps the solidness of the double 3's?). It was just another reality check of how my life has meandered into new realities. Long gone are the carefree college girl days. Long gone are the financially irresponsible days, and long gone are the days when life was simple.
I am so wonderfully blessed for the realtionships I have been in and have been able to maintain for so long. It is nice to have friends that support me and match me. We have built a friendship that has contained somuch of our life and I am well aware it will continue for much longer. We will be discussing wrinkles and grey hairs and high school rebellious children in our next era.
If that is the only reason to go to college, then I sincerely recommend it! Well that and the education and career that follows....

No comments: