Friday, October 24, 2008

It's the little things...

As my babies get older, I get glimpses of them turning into little people. The baby-ness fades (and that makes me a bit sad...once it's gone, there is no getting it back-unless you are Mrs. Duggar).

In trade for this, I get nice treats. For me, seeing the future is not a talent I can claim. I have to rely on getting my picture as each puzzle pice comes into play. What I mean is, we all want to know that our children will grow up to have rich and rewarding lives. In that, I want to know that they will have a sense of humor, compassion, enjoy things, be able to manuever in the world with flexibility and success.

How does this have anything to do with my babies? I am watching them grow by the minute. When I am not overpowered by the complete take over of being a mom, I can step back and enjoy my little people.

Today alone, I was able to "see" these things:
  • Elly laughing at a tv show
  • Bri Bri waving and smiling at the Homecoming Parade
  • Both girls enjoying sitting on a pony
  • Interacting with our friends
  • Bri enjoying a candy bar (a rare treat for her) and begging for more....
  • Elly eating a soft serve ice cream cone.

I compare this to a time when I was teaching. We are so ready to blow the whistle and yell and make little people conform. One day in the fall, I was on yard duty for recess. A fellow teacher and I were chatting near the playground and watched a set of students begin to jump in a freshly raked pile of leaves. We both brought the whistle up to our lips. Before I blew I had to laugh. It was so refreshing watching them enjoy the moment. It was pure. It was simple. It was harmless fun. The grounds crew probably disagreed. We did allow it for a few minutes and then gently corrected them. Instinct was put aside, and with that we were able to see kids exploring and entertaining themselves (no electronics, or commercial involvement, all healthy fun).

I try to remember this lesson as I parent. It helps me take a pause and assess the whole situation. It also allows me to enjoy my role, and take pleasure in the small treasures in my life.

1 comment:

drea :: dre of white stables said...

I've been thinking about this a lot, too. It's amazing how fast they change before your eyes. I'm also working on not sweating the small stuff...I want them to have very fond memories of growing up. =)