Thursday, June 4, 2009

The View From the Other Side

This week, I can finally empathize with parents of the students I used to teach.

Elly finished her preschool session last week. 6 months of 3 days a week, 3 hours a day....not only was she absent from the house those hours, but the energy spent carried into other portions of our lives. She was getting social, intellectual interaction as well as life in a world all of her own. One where we could ask what happened in her day and she could choose just how much she would share (not much usually...).

Now she is home for summer break. She is demanding. She wants activities, she wants stories, she wants to go outside, she wants to go places. Imagine that! I have to write lesson plans for my 4 year old daughter. Somewhere in that I need to make sure the two year old is appropriately engaged. Somewhere in THAT I need to cook and clean (yeah....ok....it sounds good though-right?). Somewhere in that I need to carve out time for exercise and my own crafty projects. It's a lot to ask of me!

I remember those faces, of the parents. Looking into my eyes with apprehension and reassurance. They were hoping I would offer some resource for them that would keep them from having to entertain their children for the next 6 weeks. On the other hand, I was jumping for joy to be saying Sayanara to being center stage for 20 children. Adios, toodles, etc. See ya in August!

Here I am trying to find a balance between play dates, classes, field trips, free play time, and stay home and veg time. It's damn hard.

I do have to say, that the girls are really enjoying each other. They are playing, crafting, whatever. Less fighting more playing. I LOVE IT! I love the relationship they are building. I love the peace, and I love the voices.

As a side note, all the above perceived problems are meaningless in light a friends' news. She has a small son, about the age of Bri, with a stomach tumor. It is cancerous, and proves to be difficult in removing. I am constantly reminded of how delicate life is and how lucky we are to have our girls, bickering and demands included. I am thankful.

No comments: