Friday, June 5, 2009

Today I was THAT Mom with THAT kid....

I should have known that last night's lack of sleep for at least 2 of us would make for a brutal day. Add that to the impending full moon? A recipe for disaster.

It started out ok. After settling into some early morning sleep, the girls and I woke up around 8am. Not so bad (well if you look past the part that Bri in my bed **STILL** was the reason for sleeplessness). We got some breakfast into us, dressed for the dreary summer day. Headed out with a neighbor for a neighborhood walk. Nice. I was able to get a workout in, socialize-and the the girls were relatively mellow. Nice.

The next step in our day's plan was to pack into the vehicle and head out for some errands. Dollar Store here we come! I am looking for some crayons and notepads in the CARS theme for a bday present. (In my defense I am not cheap-they will be paired with HOMEMADE toys in CARS fabric theme...really-I will snap some pics to prove it in a bit.)

Anyway. Into the store we went. There were no carts, so I opted for hand holding and a basket to carry. Well now. Bri fell apart because I declared it a Mama Only Basket. As in a "I need to not have 2 little girls fighting over who can carry it basket". There I was trying to contain a fully tantruming 2 year old, a spirited independant 4 year old, and scanning the shelves to find my crap quickly and get the heck outta there.

Seriously.

My lack of sleep and this mess was enough to A) make be start bawling myself B)grab all the sugary bad for me snacks for a naptime self medication C) Both of the above D) Pack em up and head out.

I contained myself enough to spot an empty cart. Forced still screaming child into the seat, and steered towards the kids aisles. Alas, after all that I was forced to use option D. There were no freaking CARS things.

As I worked us out of the store, The Tantrum of the Century continued. Now, because she didn't want to go....By the time we were firmly and blessedly back into the privacy of our truck, I realised Bri's sippy was still in the store...Uhm yeah, no chance of me returning. I was not going to go back into the store and have all those people looking at me with stares of "can't you control your child?" and "what's wrong with your parenting, my kid NEVER did THAT".

This gives merit to online shopping....and shopping at midnight while hubby and the girls sleep peacefully. Or becoming a grinch and not spending a dime....

This too will pass I know.

1 comment:

drea :: dre of white stables said...

I feel your pain. I had a miserable trip to Wal-Mart the other day, as if that place isn't miserable enough on its own! I was trying to get my Dad a bday card and I turn around to Ali pulling stacks of cards off of the shelves and into the basket. Fits because she didn't want to be in there anyway, a 4 year old that won't walk normally and stay out of everyone's way....*sigh* You're right, this too shall pass! Hopefully soon!