Tuesday, July 28, 2009

One for the Money, Two for the Show....

Let me just say I am so thoroughly enjoying the challenges of my sewing. I seem to be avoiding blankets and quilts an such-perhaps cuz Mom has already proven to be such a master quilt artist? So I move towards other sewn projects. Someday, I will make an awesome quilt. Now, it is not a priority. So you might ask, "What is?"

Well you all already know about my Peek Bags and Felt Foods. Those continue to be made and sold and enjoyed! I have joined up with my pal Kellie to work more with Felt Foods. She has wonderful and fabulous out-of-the-box ideas.

I have been wanting to try a few other things. More like functional things. 1) a Handbag and 2) clothing of some sort. I remember my mom used to make my clothing. In fact, when I was a wee little thing, Mom had a store called Minor Street Blues in Yreka, Ca. She made (REPURPOSING before it was COOL) all sorts of items from old recycled blue jeans and other materials. Pretty cool huh? At some point, I was not so thrilled with my homemade clothing. Must be the social pressure and my own self confidence steam rolled in. I wanted the store bought off the shelf clothes that my friends wore. Brat that I was....

Well, now, I still wouldn't be interested in a wardrobe of homemade clothes (for me or the girls. Jose maybe...just kidding). There are some cute patterns for skirts and dresses that I would like to try. Just to say I did...I have never sewn closures, like buttons or zippers. I have only ever used a straight stitch or a zigzag. Still a basic level seamstress.

This past week the opportunity came about for me to try my hand at skirts. Poodle Skirts to be exact. We have been attending the weekly Music in the Park series here in our town with our friends. The last event was to be an Elvis Impersonator. As a group we decided to dress our girls (5 of the 6 kids) in Poodle Skirts. Then we decided to MAKE them. I remember in Brownies my leaders made them for all 10 of us-couldn't be THAT difficult...











So we measured and googled for patterns. We made our way through Walmart's craft section. All the fixins were bought. We set up camp on Kellie's kitchen table. Mind you, we started to create on Thursday-the same Thursday of Elvis. Nothing like a little last minute energy to get things done...

I worked on 4! No make that 5. I had measurements for my 2 plus a friends' 2 older girls. Once I had finished, I had some leftover from the M girls' pink felt. I began to make a teeny version for the baby sister. In a few short hours (let's say after the initial 1st hour of learning the pattern), like in 4 hours, I made 5 skirts! I ran out of time and black thread when it came time for the poodles and leashes. So I made do with hot glue and leashless dogs. I will be going back to them and completing them in the next few days.

I now have a very clear idea for a basic skirt. I might endeavor to make something for the girls from this pattern. Of course, out of fabric and not felt...I also have some adjustments to he poodle skirts to make. The waistband was to bulky with a 1 inch elastic. I am going to rip out the waist on Bri's and do a 3 inch waistband attached to the front. We'll see if I like it better. Another friend, was there with us and asked me to make one for her daughter. I only charged for the materials, because I am still approximating. BUT perhaps I will fine tune them enough and can add them to my collection of sellable projects.

Your thoughts on this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blog!

drea :: dre of white stables said...

They turned out great! I wish we lived close so that I could have a sewing buddy. I finished my first apron yesterday--it will post on Monday. =)